Saturday, October 3, 2009

On the road

A few thoughts as i sit in Narita airport waiting for my flight to Seoul.
I didn't do the one thing to start my trip proper. I did my early registration but did not look at the itinerary. I figured it hadn't changed since i booked it months ago. I couldn't be wronger.
I left my house to purchase some trail mix bars for the flight. I had an 11.15 flight so my leaving at 9:30 was just fine. I would get tothe airport around 10:00 fully ready to go. Turns out my 11:15 was changed to 10:15 and i saw my flight take-offf without me.
Since i was checking in, the attendants put me on the next flight. It arrived one hour before my trans-pacific flight took off.  An easy thing if we arrive on time and the gates aren't at opposite ends of the terminal. Interesting ly, i sat for my three hours in the Traverse city terminal and as the attendant prepared the passenger list for boarding she asked over the loud speaker, " we are over booked by one passenger. do we have any volunteers to wait for the next flight?" Of course, i didn't volunteer.
i hcve a pass to the flight club in the Detroit airport but couldn't use it since i was late. so i burned 3 plus hours in the Traverse City airport. worrying that something else would go wrong. It didn't.
I got to Detroit on time and legged it to the departure terminal to find my gate just south of where i entered. that meant i had time to go to the Duty Free store and purchase two bottles of Paddy's Irish whiskey. You can't get it anywhere else in the States. At the checkout with my booty, the cashier said i had to pass through another security check point in Japan when i switch planes and may lose the bottles. I opted not to buy and with good results. They did halt all liquids. I would have be mighty disappointed.
Now i sit in Narita and wait for my connecting flight to Seoul. the excitment builds. I hope i dont' cry.

No comments:

Post a Comment