Monday, October 5, 2009

It is Day 5 or 6 and i am behind.

I looked at my blog to find i am so far behind on the entries that i may never catch up. To that end i will consolidate the several days missing and get back to them when time permits. I have notes.
It is Tuesday morning and i am in Koka City Japan. To say Koka City is not to imply a single locale. It is a group of 5 cities that became a singularity under one government. It lies within a valley surround by mountains. It is good economics.
I got here my car, driven by my host Yoshi Onu. He is a 72 year old retired english teacher. He met me at the Kyoto train station and we then boarded a train for Otsu. He parked his car at the Otsu government building.
In order to retrieve his vehicle we toured the Government building and met many people. I was so uncomfortable meeting these people because i couldn't speak their language. Also, because, they were so nice and interested. So you stand there, smile, bow, say a common greeting phrase several times wrong and smile. All was accepted well and i would do it again in a heartbeat.
I arrived at Kyoto airport after boarding an express train from the Kansei airport in Osaka. Beautiful clean transport which took an hour plus to fly to Kyoto.
I stayed in Osaka at the Hotel on the airport grounds because i didn't want to venture out into Osaka and miss the train the next morning. It was a, surprisingly, inexpensive night if you consider the cost of a stay at an american airport hotel. For those of you wondering, i think, after exchange rate, about $115. The cheapest i found online and off the airport was about $80.
I stayed at the hotel after touching down on a flight from Seoul. That took about an hour. I must tell you about the super polite methods used in Japan and all the businesses. They actually make you feel welcome! More on this in another blog. The flight included a snack which was even healthy.
When i got off the bus at the airport from downtown Seoul where i left my daughter for this trip, I got my standard fear-excitement confusion again. When i travel alone i loose a lot of my bravado. So i am at the airport early enough to not miss any rescheduled flight(read the above blog). However, that didn't stop me from confusing myself with company logos and spending needless wait time in the wrong queue at the wrong airline. You can see blog coming from this one!
My daughter and i left her apartment early enough Sunday to take a subway to the airport limo bus stop and wait the requisite half hour. for the bus. It seems you have to wait as a right of passage. The weather was warm, almost hot when standing in the direct sun, and very sunny. Not so Japan. As Yoshi tells me the Monsoons are coming in another week or so and this cloud cover we see is the precursor.
There I have caught us up so now we can go any which time way we want.
Not behind anymore.

No comments:

Post a Comment