Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Home at last!

We are home without an incident to the trip. Long drive though, as I thought might happen. But before that trip...
Sunday dawned and We ,all, answered the call of day break. I slept in the camper, as i entered the house i saw Penelope. She saw me! She was gone! Scared by that tall man who is supposed to be a grandfather. Really, what is a grandfather anyway? Some one you don't see often enough to know. We worked on that for the weekend.
Usually, out of towners  disrupt the day habits of the people they visit. We didn't change that at all. My son and daughter-in-law continued with their day to day and we boys traveled the countryside. We visited Black Canyon and witnessed the enormous drop in water level at the Blue Mesa Reservoir. Gunnison and surrounds are experiencing a drought of several years now. We traveled to the Hartman Rocks Recreation area and the Gunnison River. We did hook up with the family to shop the yard sales. I have several purchases that will leave one breathless. Among them are sweet pickled jalapenos!
After returning from our tours, we paired up and George and i took on Matt and Bert in horseshoes. Now one may hear me talk about my prowess at horseshoes. When one sees my perfect form as i loft the shoe. When one follows the graceful arc of the shoe while it turns slowly to open the shoe for perfect landing on the pin at the other pit. When the sound of metal on metal screams across the countryside to announce another perfect throw and score. It brings a tear to the eye of the beholder as only a thing of beauty can. Thus do i describe my capabilities on the horseshoe pits.
I describe but in actual play i defer to my son. As a father i must lead my son and daughter into the future and provide them with skills to live. So i lose most of the games to my son. Oh i won once. Just to keep him in line. But of the 30-40 games we played i showed how to be a great loser. Brings a tear to the eye of how humble i am!
Sunday night brought discussions and somber moments as we decided what time we would get on the road home.

No comments:

Post a Comment